Dental Leadership is a Team Sport
Dental Team Member
Hero and a Leader
Each team member has leadership skills!
Learn about each team member and empower their strengths!
Great leaders reduce team turnover by UP-skilling AND RE-skilling team members.
Let’s look at Bi-Directional Leadership as the first step to creating a happy, engaged, and productive team. By doing this you will:
The individual feels appreciated for their knowledge.
- 40% of US Employers estimate the cost of a bad hire is $25,000.00
- Hard and soft turnover is 1.5-2.5 x’s of the annual salary.
- Resulting in: opportunity loss, training costs, lower morale, performance decline, team drama, absenteeism, tardiness
Improve Team Engagement
Gallup’s State of the Global Workplace 2021 Report identified global employee engagement as very low with a rate of 20% / 34% US / CAN. Think of it as an equation in dentistry.
- Team Member + Engagement = Retention
A team working cohesively and sharing the load will be far more productive than individuals working in silos without collaborating. Bi-Directional Leadership links everyone together, no matter what role they play on the team.
What It Takes
Where problems occur is when the boss is not a leader
Great leaders have specific qualities such as:
- Team player
- Decision Maker
- High Functioning Communicator (HFC)
Let’s face it many leaders possess some of these qualities but can’t check every box.
If you are a great decision maker, but not confident in your mentorship abilities, hire a coach and learn mentorship strategies or tap into a team member’s strength who has proven mentorship skills.
It is not the leaders’ job to have all the ideas, it is to make sure all the ideas are heard and collectively, the best idea is supported by the team.
Worth Vs. Value
Let’s define worth vs value.
Say you have a painting in your closet Worth or appraised at $1M.
The Value of that painting is $0 if nobody sees it.
The Worth of your child’s 1st-grade drawing = $0
But the Value is PRICELESS!
Clinical Practice Translation
- Practicing Active Listening – The value of active listening is priceless!
- Office equipment – It is worth the investment to have the right tools. The ROI is the value of effectiveness and efficiency.
- Employee hiring – The wrong employee for a lower salary will not benefit the practice.
- Retention – Continually recognizing the value each team member brings to the practice will ensure loyalty and unsolicited marketing.
Bonus Communication Tips
Watch the video below.